Journalism and Women Symposium is seeking a part-time operations director.
See the job description below. The person we hire will begin in mid-September or early October and transition through the rest of the year with current OD Roxanne Foster before taking over on her own in January.
PART-TIME OPERATIONS DIRECTOR
JOURNALISM AND WOMEN SYMPOSIUM
The Journalism and Women Symposium is seeking a well-organized team player and self-starter to be our part-time operations director. The successful candidate will help fulfill our mission of supporting the professional empowerment and personal growth of women in journalism while working toward a more accurate portrayal of society as a whole.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for journalism and great interpersonal skills.
This is an administrative job that requires attention to detail as well as technological savvy: making sure deposits and payments are made properly and promptly, offering our 750-plus members great customer service, and coordinating with event planners to make sure our most important annual event, the JAWS Conference and Mentoring Project (CAMP), comes off without a hitch.
The operations director reports to the JAWS president. The director works with board members, volunteers and outside vendors as needed.
Duties throughout the year may include:
- Managing membership
- Managing finances with assistance from a bookkeeper
- Organizational oversight, including annual nonprofit filings
- Coordinating the annual Conference and Mentoring Project with the help of an event planning contractor
- Coordinating annual, one-day regional trainings
- Support the board of directors and their committees
- Assist the development director or chairwoman with identifying grant and other financial opportunities
- Assist the communications team
Hours and compensation
- This is a part-time position averaging 20 hours a week, working remotely, with an annual compensation of $25,000, plus travel expenses to the annual Conference and Mentoring Project, spring board meeting and one-day regional trainings.
- Please explain in a thoughtful cover letter why you are the right person to join our team. Send your résumé, LinkedIn profile link and the contact information for three references. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- We seek a diverse pool of candidates.
- Preference may be given to applicants with journalism and/or nonprofit experience.
Send a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org by Aug. 18, 2017.