By Pamela Moreland, JAWS Development Committee Chair
Giving Tuesday is a global day for giving back, a day to turn around from all the consumerism that fills the holiday season and turn toward the nonprofits that work to make the world a better place.
Not to brag, but JAWS is one of those nonprofits.
The mission of our organization is to support “the professional empowerment and personal growth of women in journalism” and work “toward a more accurate portrayal of the whole society.” JAWS needs your help to keep moving forward. Your tax-deductible donation, no matter what size, will provide money for fellowships, mentoring programs and regional training, and help in bringing great speakers to our annual conference.
You can also ask the people who usually give you gifts to consider making a donation to JAWS instead of merchandise or a gift card. No schlepping to the store, and everyone feels good.
Consider this your call to action. There are lots of ways to send your donation to JAWS.
- Donate online: Click here to make a secure donation to JAWS through the Network for Good.
- Send us a check: Make it out to “Journalism and Women Symposium” and mail to JAWS headquarters: 2885 Sanford Ave. SW, #29226, Grandville, MI 49418-1342
- Put search to good use: You can give to JAWS every time you shop online this holiday season. Start by visiting GoodSearch and GoodShop when shopping online.
- GoodShop is a gateway to merchants who sell everything from A to Z and all of it brings a cut to JAWS. What’s more, there are often special deals and coupons for GoodShop users.
- When you enter the GoodSearch site, be sure to go to the box where it asks “Who do you GoodSearch for?” — put in JAWS or Journalism and Women Symposium. The site uses the Yahoo! search engine. GoodSearch directs at least 50 percent of the revenues generated from each search to JAWS.
- Support the Legacy Fund: The JAWS Legacy Fund honors the trailblazers who embody the spirit and mission of Journalism and Women Symposium by collecting bequests and other donations and then using those funds to support programs that enrich the work of JAWS. Donations earmarked for the Legacy Fund will be used for program enrichment such as speakers and fellowships, or for videotaping JAWS events.
On Tuesday, Dec. 1, join the global celebration of generosity and giving by donating to JAWS. Encourage your family, friends and other JAWS members to give, and add #GivingTuesday #Give2JAWS in your social media posts. Don’t forget to let the world know how JAWS has helped you personally by posting your reason for giving to JAWS on the Giving Tuesday Facebook page or post something on Twitter and add #MyGivingStory.
The holiday season is about giving more than sweaters or perfume. Make this one count by giving to JAWS.