Take a more active role in the direction Journalism and Women Symposium (JAWS) is headed. Run for the board of directors to help us ‘Face Our Past and Define Our Future.’
JAWS board members help make decisions that impact a growing organization of more than 600 women working in news organizations, media and journalism and academia.
We need leaders with skills, or interest in developing skills, in finance, marketing, social media, event planning, mentorship and more.
Board members must have attended at least two CAMPS (this fall in Williamsburg counts as a second CAMP) and must attend an annual spring board meeting. Each board member chairs or co-chairs a committee comprised of board members and other volunteer members to oversee an interest essential to the mission of JAWS.
This year the membership will elect seven members, including the following:
- Vice President (two years)
- Deputy Vice President (one year)
- Secretary (two years)
- Four general board members (two years)
- One general board member for a one-year term
We need candidates who:
- Reflect the diversity of our membership and society at large
- Are passionate about promoting the professional empowerment and personal growth of women in journalism
- Will actively contribute their energy, talents, skills and wisdom to strengthening JAWS as a financially stable organization with rich programming and services that meet its members’ needs.
Members may submit their own names or those of others. If you submit a name other than your own, please secure their approval beforehand. Nominees will be asked to complete a short questionnaire and statement of willingness to serve that will be shared with the entire membership.
Email nominations, and a short explanation of why the person is nominated, to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, Aug. 14.